Tuesday, February 14, 2017

A casual take on Valentine's Day...



I know, I know that today is Valentine's Day and as an elementary school teacher, I really should have been a bit more spirited, but as the LuLaRoe bug has yet to bite and because I think that Valentine's Day has morphed into something ridiculous, I opted to adopt a more "Friday" attitude.  Instead of getting caught up in flowers and chocolates and all that jazz, I decided to be comfy and spend a few after-work hours eating pizza and drinking whiskey with SB and that, my friends, is about all I needed (though the influx of chocolate from my students made for an excellent dessert)!

Yes, pals, instead of allowing myself to be swept away on the latest overpriced trend, the sustainable minimalist in me definitely took center stage today.  This outfit is almost 100% sustainable, and really... these trousers have been through an interesting journey.  They didn't used to look like this.  They actually used to look like this, but I noticed that the fabric on one of the side seams near the hem had started to fray beyond the point of normal repair.  I decided to turn them into cutoffs, but they were just too short.  And this, my friends, is where the scraps from one of my roughed up college bedsheets entered the scene.  While the colour isn't an exact match, I had enough fabric to extend each pant leg to the point where they looked normal again.  

And for real... I can't even tell you how many compliments I received on this super comfy ensemble. 

Just wait until you see what I created with the rest of the bedsheets scraps!  Stay tuned.  

... and if you celebrate, I hope ya'll had a lovely Valentine's Day! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 
: the shirt was thrifted
: the trousers were altered from re-purposed materials
: the earrings are handmade from sustainably harvested butterfly wings
: the bracelets are handmade






2 comments: